The other weekend we invited my mother in law over for a cooked lunch to celebrate her birthday, she loves a cooked lunch. I simple affair of just her and our family of four. On the menu we had an organic roast chicken with vegetables and then for dessert was apple pie and cream. Apple pie would have to be my all time favourite dessert to make. I think it may have even been my first dessert I made in home economics and this is the same recipe I used out of the same book from way back. I don't make dessert often so when I do it disappears very quickly and if you make it I can guarantee it will be enjoyed very much.
Still on the subject of food, I have been sitting down writing the weekly menu plan. It can be a struggle to get it done but worthwhile when during the week you go searching for dinner ideas. I thought I would share it with you, maybe it might give you some ideas.
Herbed honey rissoles with vegetables
Fish, chips and salad
Maple and tamari roasted rainbow vegetables with quinoa
Apple banana breadApple Pie
Sweet Short Pastry
1 cup plain flour
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 egg yolk
1/4 cup cold water or milk (approx.)
1. Sift flours and salt into a bowl.
2. Rub shortening through the flour with the tips of the fingers.
3. Add sugar and mix well.
4. Mix into a dry dough with egg and milk beaten together.
5. Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth.
6. Use as required.
6-8 cooking apples
3/4 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup water
1. Peel apples and slice into a saucepan.
2. Add water and sugar and cook gently until soft. Add cloves. (I add the cloves when I cook the apples)
3. Drain off any surplus juice before using.
1. Make sweet short pastry.
2. Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth.
3. Cut dough into 2 pieces.
4. Roll out one piece to line a tart plate.
5. Fill with cooked apples. Moisten edge of pastry.
6. Roll out other piece of pastry and cover filling.
7. Press edges down firmly. Make a hole in the centre.
8. Decorate then brush over with milk.
9. Bake in moderate to hot oven for 30-40 minutes.
10. Sprinkle top with icing sugar.